MDDC’s Reese Cleghorn Internship program supports college-student journalists by providing experience, training and mentoring in newsrooms in Maryland, Delaware or District of Columbia through 8-week paid summer internships (total compensation for each intern is at least $3,760 for the 8-week program).
The application period for the summer of 2021 has closed.
Apply for an internship September 15 – November 15.
Submit a reference.
Students with a strong career interest in print journalism (and associated platforms) who have completed a college-level course in one of these areas or have equivalent experience on a college or community publication. Open to undergraduates either:
- attending any Maryland, Delaware, or the District of Columbia four-year college/university, OR
- a resident of Maryland, Delaware or District of Columbia attending a four-year college/university elsewhere
- Applicants must have the use of an automobile during the internship and be living within a reasonable driving distance of their assigned news media organization.
- Assignments will be made to participating news media organizations as near as possible to the residences of the selected applicants.
- Samples of published journalism, copy editing or photojournalism are required.
- Assignment to a particular organization will be subject to the approval of the editor.
Submitting an Application
- The open period to submit an application is September 15 – November 15.
- To submit an application, click here.
Items to gather prior to submitting the online application:
- 300-word essay describing your interest in a print journalism (and associated platforms) career
- 3 Professional references:
- References are due by the application deadline.
- One reference must be a professor.
- One reference should be a faculty advisor (preferred) or editor of a college news organization.
- Please provide this link to your references: https://form.jotform.com/62803492846160
- References from fellow students or relatives will not be accepted.
- For Copy Editor or Reporting applicants, 3-5 samples of your news writing:
- must use PDF file type
- published with your by-line or verification from editor
- work submitted for credit in college news writing course may be used in lieu of published writing samples (please specify course, instructor, where course was taken).
- For Photojournalism applicants:
- 5+ photographs made on a newspaper or classroom assignment
- Writing samples (if desired, not required)
Finalists for internships will be notified via email and must attend an in-person or Zoom interview with the Intern Selection Committee in late December or early January.
Please contact Rebecca Snyder with any questions.
The Reese Cleghorn Internship program is supported by the Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Foundation. For more information on the Press Foundation, please click here.